University of Oregon



Self-Arranged Travel

In most cases, students in UO-sponsored study and internship programs will arrange travel for themselves. This means that you are free (within the limitations of your visa and legal status in the host country and other nearby locations) to travel before and/or after the program period. You are also free to use your own or family members' airline miles, or to select the best-cost option for booking your travels. You might consider student-focused services (e.g., STA Travel,, though student-class tickets are more difficult/expensive (or even impossible) to change or get refunded in case of a missed flight. In any case, it is best to wait to arrange your travel after you have heard that you are accepted to the program, including by the host university or program site.


All international travel requires a valid passport, and it must be valid for 180 days after your date of intended return travel back to the US. US citizens may apply for or renew your passport following instructions at the US State Department's travel website. Citizens of other countries should consult their home country's Embassy or Consulate for more information. Note that you must renew your passport before applying for any entry visas.

Entry Visas

Many countries will require that citizens of other countries obtain the appropriate entry visas either before departing from the US or upon arrival at the border. Requirements vary for each country and also depending on your precise citizenship(s), your legal status in the United States, and your purpose for residence in the country (e.g., study vs. internship). In many cases, UO Study Abroad Programs staff or staff members of our partner organizations will provide you with general information and advice. However, this information changes frequently, and you are ultimately responsible for securing your own necessary travel documents. You should also be aware that applications for entry visas usually involve an application fee (ranging from under $100 upwards to $500) and also, in some cases, an in-person appearance at a Consular, Embassy, or other office in the US (e.g., in Los Angeles, San Francisco, Portland, or elsewhere). If you have questions, please ask your program coordinator.

Travel Preparation & Planning

During the pre-departure orientation period, you will have one or more opportunities to attend in-person or online orientations to learn more about specific planning and preparations needed for your site. Orientations are generally required, so you should plan to attend them. Typical topics of concern as you plan to travel abroad include: how and what to pack, immunizations and other health preparations that may be needed, planning for managing your finances while abroad, planning for differing electricity systems, and preparing yourself to live in a new cultural setting. In addition to the information provided at orientation, you may benefit from consulting travel guides available at the Mills International Center in the EMU.

Take Action

Site Navigation